Sunday, April 20, 2014

Spring Race Season



 

It's here!!!  It's here!!

For all the non runners out there spring marks the beginning of race season.  For us runners who have been pounding the pavement in the snow and building mileage on the on dreadmill, spring race season is our version of Opening Day.  There is a thrill that I can't quite describe as we line up to the first start line of the year.   Our minds in a panic, butterflies in our stomach, stress over what to eat for that race day breakfast…. as though we are prepping for the olympic trials that are the community 5k.  

After crossing the finish line we immediately turn to our friends in the midst of our shared endorphin high and suggest filling our entire spring weekend calendar with themed 5k events.  Whether it's a color run, charity run, mud run or just a run for fun we can't' imagine doing anything else from April through June.  Well at least in that 2 hour slot post race we can't imagine doing anything else…. until our 6am alarm goes off every Saturday morning for the next 5 weeks and we think, who suggested this again? 

Spring racing also means us girls immediately flock to the nearest athletic store to buy the latest neon shoes, running skirts and overprices running shirts.  Why?, because running in a matching brightly colored outfit will absolutely make us go faster… or at least look good while we are trotting along:) Running fashion is a whole post on it's own.  

Whatever your training when spring arrives and you step to that first staring line on a 55+ degree spring morning at 8AM to us it's the best feeling in the world.   

What am I running this year?  Well I'm glad you asked!  This year I was lucky enough to kick off Spring Racing season with the same group that got me to climb out of my nice warm bed to workout in  27 degrees and snow all winter.  To be fair they were there every weekend.  I was the "wimp" who refused to show up in anything less than 27 degrees. They are the Achilles International group.  A group of incredible athletes who meet twice a week for group workouts.  Most of the attendees are hand cyclists which works out great for the turtle trotter I am.  Running with a group actually gives me anxiety because I'm slow! (Yes, I do realize I just started a running blog.)  

Achilles International Pittsburgh hosted it's first 5K in North Park under the direction of Jeff Smith, race director and Monica Michna, chapter president.  It was an awesome event for all athletes and I didn't fall over from an asthma attack or finish behind the walkers.  This is what I call a successful race! 

Next up is a race April 26th for the Penn Township Business Association and a June Dirty Girl mud run for team "Save Second Base".  Yeah I thought it was pretty clever as well:) 

There are some great sites that list all the Pittsburgh 5k races. Here is a list below of my goto: 


What are you running this spring? Leave us a comment and tell us about your favorite race or event! 

No comments:

Post a Comment