Monday, April 28, 2014

PTBA 5K Race Review

So this is Kelly pictured on the right.   Want to know why Kelly is so awesome? Kelly just started running in December on the treadmill and placed in her age group at the PBTA 5K on Saturday! Also, she was pretty awesome to talk to. One of the many reasons why I love the running community.  Shout out to my age group were Stephanie Kravetz took 1st and I took 3rd! (Yes I looked it up and there were more than three people in our age group:)) 

Although racing conditions were not ideal if your a runner they were actually enjoyable (45 degrees and overcast).  The rain held off juuuust long enough for us to cross the finish line and move to the post race party located in the church gym.  Great planning on the committees part!


Race Review for PBTA 5K: 

Course: 

A small deviation in the beginning through a single neighborhood road but otherwise out and back straight course. The terrain was paved for the entire route with rolling hills. I say rolling but I would categorize this as medium to hard.  The hills were consistant  with  only one large hill on the return trip.  

Crowd: 

The nice part about a community 5k that runs by houses is the crowd! There were families, kids and even the sweet smell of farm country lining the route.  The road closing was organized by the fire department and police department which means they were also lining the route.  It was a nice family oriented energy. 

Water Stops: 

One water stop was organized at mile 2.  Given this was an out and back course you hit the stop twice.  For a 5k there was no chance of getting dehydrated they had you covered! The water stop was stocked with both sports drink and water for whatever your preference.  I have to say it was by first 5k that had two water drops and a choice of either electrolytes or water.  A welcomed touch by all the runners! 

Swag:

I have to say I wasn't excepting much for a community 5k.  You know the basic race pamphlets and T-Shirt.  Well I can say I was very wrong.  The T-Shirt was a nice yellow and green (PT colors), accompanied by a reusable swag bag filled with first aid kits, water bottles and other goodies.  I have to say my FAVORITE was the local made organic granola.  I actually asked the bakery what they put in it because I didn't believe it was healthy! Update...it is.  They use brown rice syrup and almond butter.  (Grandma's Country Oven Bake Shoppe) Yum. 

Awards: 

The awards get 5 stars.  Honestly the best looking medals (see picture below) for a community 5K I have seen. Trophies were given to overall male/female finishers and medals were given to the top 3 per age group. 

Overall: 

Overall it was a well planned event.  The community business, fire department and police department all came out in support along with 100+ runners and walkers.  The post race awards celebration was flowing in a gymnasium with music, water, coffee and food.  A well organized fun event I would definitely run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment