Thursday, April 24, 2014

Goals to Succeed or Goals to Fail?

Goals are a funny thing.  They can encourage us, motivate us, inspire us or make us give up.  Yes, that’s right the wrong type of goal can work in reverse.  I know personally if I set a goal that is either too hard or too easy it will make me not even want to get off the couch and work towards it.  For example running in the Olympics.  Ok it’s great to have goals but an Olympic athlete I am not. Unless they suddenly open a fashion division for  10 minute milers.  Then I’m your girl and I can represent the US.  

On the flip side if I make a goal that is too easy such as run around my house once again I would rather just sit on my couch. The fact is I KNOW I can do that so there is really nothing to prove to myself or work towards. Don’t get me wrong I believe fitness goals are ESSENTIAL to continuing a fitness schedule or workout.  Without a goal there is really no reason to stuff yourself into those spandex capris and get out the door. 

The important thing is to create the RIGHT goals. The right kind of Goals come in two flavors.  Short Term and Lifetime.  

Short Term Goals:  For me a short term goal is an achievable goal.  One that I can work towards and accomplish with the right mindset in 6 months or less.  I have a short attention span so if it’s over 6 months I will quit.  These goals are running a marathon, training to improve my 5k time, hitting a certain distance in my long runs etc.  These are both short term and semi long term goals that make each workout a reason to get you one step closer.

Lifetime Goals: Notice I didn't say long term?  Long term to me means I have a date, say 12 -18 months.  Lifetime Goals are the ones I have in the back of my head I’m afraid to write down on paper.  Could I do them? Probably.  Will they happen anytime soon. Nope.  They are what I day dream about during those weekend 10 milers that make me want to keep working hard.
My Goals are evolving constantly but here is a list of my current motivational Goals:
Short Term: 

  1. Run a 5k in under 29 minutes. 
  2. Weekly long run distance of 10 miles
  3. Run one of the Disney Races
  4. Run 500 miles in 2014

Lifetime: 

  1. Train and run an Ultra Marathon 
  2. Run a race in all 50 states 
  3. Run a race through Paris, France

No comments:

Post a Comment