Thursday, July 3, 2014

Stuffed Skinny Peppers


Stuffed No Salt Low Fat Peppers
Well if that title doesn’t make your mouth water I’m not sure what would! (Insert Extreme Sarcasm) I have to admit you probably aren’t going to win any cooking shows with this one but they were pretty good.  After all, I was able to workout while these were baking, get two nights worth of meals out of it AND my husband ate it without any complaints.  Anytime I can do all that and it’s still healthy well it just makes me feel like I hacked the code to life.
Below is a link to the original recipe.   I made a few alterations to both the ingredients and overall   recipe. 

Ingredient Swaps and Adds:  
For the meat I used 96% fat free extra lean ground beef.  (You can use turkey as well.  I would recommend the lean over extra lean due to dryness.) For the chicken broth I used the no salt added chicken broth.  This is not the low sodium this is the no salt added and is pretty much salt free from a broth standpoint.  I also picked up a carton of Hunts no salt added tomato sauce and salt free Italian spice.  Finally, I subbed the brown rice for the listed white. 
The recipe as it stands comes out a bit dry.  To make it better I poured the no salt added tomato sauce over the stuffed peppers before baking and topped each with a few shakes of Italian seasoning.  Ten minutes before they are done sprinkle low fat Mozzarella on each pepper. 
All in this took me about an hour AND I did a workout video while they baked.  I got home at 5:30 and had my workout and dinner on the table by 7:00 without using something from a box. BAM take that life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment