Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Chicago Michelob Ultra 13.1

  
3:35 the buzzing started.  Slow at first then louder.  Waking up grabbing my phone ready to smash it off the wall I remembered... Wait *I* set that alarm.  I did this to myself.... for fun.  Please tell me I'm not the only one that has this happen EVERY race day morning.  I wake up ready to smash my phone off the nearest wall when I suddenly remember I voluntarily set that alarm, so I could wake myself up to run 13.1 mile because I find this form of torture the most fun I could possibly have.It's true once I realized I was in Chicago, my race weekend was finally here I snapped on the light and immediately began eating my pre planned power bar and chugging energizing NUUN.  


Getting to the race from downtown was a breeze. The shuttles were lined up near Millennium park (about 2 blocks from our hotel).  Once a shuttle filled up it immediately drove off to the race site. 

The early shuttle time dropped us off on the South Shore of Chicago right as the sun began to rise.  Beautiful! Looking to the left the light reflected off the city for a breathtaking view.  This is a view not many residents nor visitors have a chance to see being that you need to be on the south side of chicago at 5AM. It was gorgeous and a great way to set your mind in positive mode for race day. 

The Race Recap:)  


















Positives: 

Course: 
The race weaved through a mix of lake front trail and tree covered park pathways.  The mix kept it fresh with shade from the trees and a great view of the lake with early morning sun splashed in there kept it interesting. Overall a flat fast course with a few (maybe 4-5) rolling hills. I personally enjoy rolling hills because for the short spurt up you can enjoy a relaxing downhill:) Is lazy running possible?!  

My husband was waiting to cheer me on at mile 3 and even jumped in and ran with me to mile 4! (Yes I realize I'm  married to THE BEST guy ever. Getting up at 3:30AM to go to South Chicago without coffee and jump in and run a mile with me for company:) He's just awesome!) 

Aid Stations: 
Aid stations were plentiful stocked with Gatorade and chilled water, two of which were also stocked with Cliff gel shots (I take my own but a nice touch just incase something happens).

Finish Line and Party: 
Given a 10 week break for injury that didn't allow me to start running AT ALL until April.... I was exstatic to finish with a 2:12 and still feel great! The metals were awesome.  I felt like I had won't he olympic gold with the weight around my neck.  Also, it has a bottle opener on it which is just kinda badass. Thanks! The beer tent after was a great time.  Band playing shaded trees and a nice beer card with a free you guessed it Michelob Ultra. 

Negative: 

Sorry but this race had a few negatives.  

On course entertainment.  
From what I could tell five(ish) stations were planned for entertainment.  The first a group of bagpipers.  Who doesn't get fired up with Irish bagpipes! I was psyched given I'm a loud 90% Irish girl! Of course they just stood there.  Ok, maybe they are on a break I thought.  Coming back through the last half of the race.... again just standing there.  My husband said he also walked by them waiting for me and ..... yup just standing there.  So summary of entertainment stop one:  Stare at old men dressed in skirts with white legs.   I guess that counts right?  I then came up to speakers.  Great! Fun DJ party at mile X.....ugh no.  There was a turn table sitting on a picnic table with one guy resting in a van....really? Ok headphone back on. 

I do have to admit there were two drum lines and a great entertainer at the turn around.  THANK YOU!!!!!!!  Yes, this really does help us pass the time and push through the pain. 

 Crowd: 
I believe it was the chosen race location (far from most city residents) that gave to a minimal crowd.  The spectators were all family or supporters of other runners.  Thank goodness for team challenge! I found a few of their runners and of course they have great supporting crowds along the route.  Otherwise, it was really just me and my headphones for most of the race.  Not that I mind at all I love my peaceful runs... but on race day you are pushing just a little harder and need some fire! (Thank you Linkin Park, Eminem and Ariana Grande) 

Finish Line: 

Great Finish line! I passed the last water station in an attempt to make the best possible time.  Anything under a 2:15 was what I really really wanted. Crossing the finish line parched I collapsed on the volunteer handing me........a warm gatorade bottle, a warm water bottle and a fruit pack. WTF! I actually walked around TRYING to find chilled anything and there was nothing.  So I drank the warm stuff and really really thought about walking up a mile to the last aid station just for something cold. 

Overall I would say this was a fun half marathon.  The race was a cross between a large event and a hometown race.  I personally enjoyed having enough runners to keep it fun without grossly overcrowding and the gorgeous views of early morning chicago.  A fast course and perfect weather never hurt either! 

No comments:

Post a Comment