Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Five Must Have Apps for Runners

Apps Apps and More Apps 

These days almost everything can be replaced by a simple app on your phone.  Before the the world of smart phones there were, personal trainers...yes actual humans that you met with two to three times weekly in a gym, nutrition coaches, wellness coaches, group fitness classes... no really the ones were groups of humans meet in person. 

Today most of this has been replaced by an app.  You can join an online fitness community, challenge group or take a full class with a virtual room right over Skype. To tell you the truth.... I'm all in.  Who has time to fit in 6 meetings on top of your work and family schedule? My work day is hectic.  

What I do know is that at 5pm I can open my car trunk and find a ready packed bag of running clothes and dumb bells, and with the touch of a button find new workout moves to make a bench workout from my phone.  There is always a road to run and always a park bench to train on. 

Personally I have 5 apps I just can not live without.


Map My Run:


LOVE THIS ONE!
Map my run is a free app that uses satellite to track your run or walk.  The app ties directly into your music app and playlist.  During your run a voiceover chimes in for each mile giving you your distance, split time and average pace. Once your run is complete you can save the session to your profile.

The session stats show you a map of where you ran, the distance time and the elevation.  Here is why this matters.... You can also search your area for previously run routes other users have saved.  For example I wanted to run a 4 mile loop near Greensburg, PA. I put a quick search in and was able to view routes from other runners.  I chose the flatest  listed course:) 


My Fitness Pal: 

I have tested quite a few nutrition and calorie tracking apps.  My Fitness Pal is by far the easiest and has the most comprehensive food list for tracking.  The app allows each user to identify not only their daily target calorie goal but also the macros for each Protein, Carbs ad Fat to makeup the calorie goal.  


Charity Miles: 

Want to volunteer every single day without changing anything about your routine? Yeah really. Charity is an online startup from kickstarter.  The app allows you to choose your activity and your charity from a list.  For every mile you complete a designated amount will be donated to the charity of your choice.  If you aren't using this app you should be!


Fitocracy:

The competitive game lover in me loves this app:)  This app allows you to log your workouts and earn points towards the next level.  You can also log smaller amounts of activity like 6 sit-ups, toward your daily goal.  There are badges to work towards (run 1000 miles), groups to join, and friends to give you virtual fit pumps:) Overall a well run app.  You can also search workout ideas for a 10 minute bootcamp etc. 


Instagram: Obviously! 

I love to use this account as my workout log and inspiration from others.  Following other runners, triathletes and fit girls gives me the motivation to get out the door every day.  I have new goals, new ideas and an online running support group to keep me going and recognize when I run a 20 second PR.  


****With everything there is guidance. I would consult a nutritionist or trainer if you are new to working out.  They will help you identify what your eating and fitness goals should be based on your current weight and levels. ***** 

No comments:

Post a Comment